View Single Post
(#18 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

04-05-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
It depends on which lists you read. According to the UN and the Economist, it mostly is a Scandinavian country that tops the list, usually Norway.

Austria and Germany combined have an economy that's 46% bigger than France's, and if you also take Switzerland which is mostly a German speaking country, you get a German speaking economy in Europe that's 60% bigger than France's.

What about the world population has it GROWN at the same time? Of course there will be more French speakers in absolute numbers when the African populations are growing! But when you consider the decline of French as a secondary/third language all over the world, several African countries dropping French from the curriculum, and French only being used in 11% of all EU documents now, as opposed to 40% in the 60s EVEN YOU should get a hang of it.

I didn't even have to look for an excuse. France and French has nothing to offer me.

Sure Arabic is useless for someone living in one of the 22 ARAB countries in the world. And I'm pretty sure Berber is pretty useless for someone coming from Maghreb....
You're still not answering a single question I've asked!

Why Japanse over French for general usefulness?

You said Germany's Economy. Not countries where German is spoken! In which case, it is NOT far bigger than France's! But my point is still the same on that. Big Economy doesn't = better job opportunities!

Dude, French is the second most taught language in the world after English. With regards to your last remark, 1st, I said spoke about Arabic with respect to me. I have no foreseeable future in any Arab country, 2nd I sense a bit of sarcasm, but WOW 22 Arab countries? French is spoken in 33 or 35 countries. French and English are the ONLY two languages spoken on ALL continents, so I don't know where you get your facts from, but French is GROWING and not because of an increase of population in Africa!

Surveys for international jobs showed that 47 required or preferred French, 29 Spanish, 10 Russian and 3 German.

So, like I said, if it's not for you, then just say that. Stop trying to justify to yourself or to us that French is a useless language because 1, you're wrong, and 2, it just makes you look stupid for taking 18 months to realise it!

Last edited by noodle : 04-05-2010 at 08:59 AM.