View Single Post
(#36 (permalink))
Old
SenseofTouch (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to SenseofTouch Send a message via MSN to SenseofTouch Send a message via Skype™ to SenseofTouch
04-06-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Pop music has nothing to do with how people really talk. Do those same singers toss in English when they are speaking Japanese conversationally?

No, they don't. Pop music lyrics are NOT conversational language communication.

It is common to mix languages in multi-lingual societies. However, I don't think the OP is talking about people that are living in a Japan/English mixed society.

It is also extremely common for a person to constantly use the expressions of the language they're learning while speaking their native tongue.

I don't know that it is "extremely common" but if I were friends with someone who was learning a new language and he or she couldn't help but "constantly" throw in expressions from the language he or she was learning, I would find it extremely obnoxious.
I didn't say a single word about pop music. Every single one of my Japanese friends throw English expressions into their Japanese. All of my Chinese friends throw in English into their Cantonese. Most of my Latin/Hispanic friends throw in Spanish into their English. Many people in Hong Kong throw in English words, phrases, and expressions into their daily speech while hardly knowing the language. Big deal. It is common and it is not a bad thing. It doesn't imply anything. Apparently, some dumbass decided to label foreigners using Japanese expressions as geeks and wannabes, and even dumber dumbasses followed. N*gga please.

O===[[:::::SenseofTouch:::::>>