View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
geronimo21 (Offline)
New to JF

Post Aomori to Kyoto - Japan Rail vs. Domestic Flight - 04-11-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Why are you flying domestically when there are trains that go to all those places? I don't have the impression that flying is cheaper?
MMM, Thank you for your question. It was thought-provoking. We had wrestled with that same question for a while and, after reading your question, wrestled with it some more. We are leaning towards domestic flights for a couple of reasons.

1. Mom is 91 and we were not sure if it was wisdom to subject her to the long train rides to and from northern Honshu. We were not so concerned with the ride up to Aomori (728km/approx. 4 hours) as much as the train down to Kyoto (1241km/approx. 7 hours plus 2 transfers). After the 12 hour flight from LAX, we weren't sure she could handle it. We felt it would be a little rough on us to will all that we are trying to fit in.

2. We considered taking the train one-way up to Aomori and flying back, but were advised by JTB agent that we would not get the discounted domestic airfare if we flew only one sector as opposed to 2.

I recall being told that the 2 sectors (Haneda to Aomori and Aomori to Osaka Itami) were going to be about 20,134.5 JPY ($215US). However, we spoke with a different JTB agent the other day to add 1 day to departure from Aomori and she said the flights were going to be about 28,094.7 JPY / $300US...That was a bit of a surprise. Still, after crunching the numbers and distances and times, we are leaning towards flying. If we had more time, we would definitely take the train. We are wondering what the scenery is like going up and back from Tohoku region. If anyone had feedback regarding the scenery on those trips, that would be appreciated.

I guess it basically comes down to spending the extra $900 (originally thought it was $645...) and vs. saving 6 hours and 34 minutes of train travel time plus wear and tear.

One thing we are wondering though…we see that when we look at the Japan Rail fares for the different legs, there is a train fare, seat fee and bus fare. Does anyone know if all of those fees are covered by the Rail Pass? That might make a difference in planning.

Thanks for your advice. If we are missing something here, please let us know. The flights sure seemed like a better deal at $645 for 3 people vs. $900…now I am really going to take a hard look at it.

Thanks again.