(#5 (permalink))
Old
geronimo21 (Offline)
New to JF

04-11-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhailhata View Post
JAPAN RAIL PASS validity
Basically all of those fees are covered by the Rail Pass.But,The JAPAN RAIL PASS is not valid for any seats, reserved or non-reserved, on "NOZOMI" shinkansen.

Do you know Golden Week ?Golden Week (Japan) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
One of the worst season for elders to travel in Japan with public transportation.If you use Japan Rail, reserved seats are essential for your mom,especially for so long train ride.
allhailhata,

Thank you for your comments. Yes, I have been hearing about Golden Week. Thank you for the information regarding reserved seats. I am wondering how early we can reserve them. Does anybody know? I've read the Japan Rail Pass brochure cover to cover. Maybe I missed it. It sounds like we purchase the pass prior to departure from U.S. and obtain the exchange order in Japan. So, I'm guessing that we can get the exchange order after landing at Narita on Saturday April 24 at 4:30 p.m. and make reservations right then. Is that correct?

By the way, we talked it over with the family and decided to take trains to and from Aomori. We are thinking we should avoid connecting in Tokyo around rush hour...probably best to connect in Tokyo before 3 p.m. Is that assumption correct?

MMM, I guess that goes to show never underestimate the power of a well placed question...

Thank you for the feedback!