View Single Post
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-29-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
The taste of those bottled milk teas vary quite a bit - some I think taste sickly sweet with a dash of detergent, while others are actually quite good.
As for ordering it in restaurants - it seems that in most places if you ask for milk tea, you will be served regular tea with milk (or a side of milk) and sugar sticks/cubes to add to taste. The 100% milk stuff is usually called "royal" milk tea and costs a bit more because of the amount of milk and pain to brew it.
You raise a great point. Honestly, I was probably so traumatized by a cheap brand of the stuff that I never gave it a second chance, so yeah, maybe I need to try some other sort from a different source. Thinking on it, one of my friends (and a fellow carton hater) had Royal Milk Tea in Tokyo at a posh hotel and he said it was amazing. Several times, in fact, so it must have been good.

The other thing I found with ordering black tea in restaurants was that you could pay about the same price and not know if you were going to be landed with Liptons yellow label (aka cheap salty black scum) or something like Twinnings (aka なつかしい〜). Unless it was super cheap or wincingly pricey. We found a cute little italian cafe that was selling a cup of tea for one at 600yen a pop. On the other hand, you got actual leaf tea with that (no idea what brand, but it wasn't Twinnings i don't think) and it was ~delicious~.

On the other hand, Japan has some of the most amazing green teas. Much more economical too as even the cheap day-to-day stuff can be really quite palatable.