(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-03-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
He didn't say he was doing something else. Becoming an engineer is almost as long winded as becoming a doctor. If someone mentions their experience whilst applying for a job, it's very likely that the experience is in engineering, and not only that, in a very specific field of engineering, unless of course, they're looking to change field.
So, I'd agree with you if someone had 5 years experience in something that had nothing to do with his new job, but generally this applies to all companies in all countries. What good would 5 years experience in Accounting do, if someone was applying for an IT job?!
No, he has 5 years of experience doing something else. He has NOT been working on the same project and in the same system as the new company he will be entering. This DOES make a difference. I don`t know how it is outside of Japan, but he WOULD be starting at the bottom in the new company because he has NOT been working on the same thing and has not been working within their system. I know he meant he had 5 years of engineer experience - but that is not what matters. Unless the company recruited him because he was working with them on a project or on the exact same system/machinery/etc - he will start at the same place as a new engineering graduate. That is just how changing jobs in Japan works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
A Japanese engineer working full-time for a reputable company is going to make much more than 200k yen per month. A part-time position will pay in the neighborhood of what the OP has indicated.
I have no idea where you are getting your info, but for the past 6 years my husband and I have been doing data entry for 12 major university hiring databases and the starting average is 19万/month with 手当て and total bonuses of 2 months a year. No transportation or housing 手当て and it`s still only about 20~21万 for an engineering position. It USED to be higher. Now there are far far more applicants than positions so the entry pay is a lot lower than it used to be. (10 years ago my husband entered at 25万 with 手当て and total bonus of 4 months)

The market for engineering entry positions is NOT a good one right now.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.