(#18 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-04-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
As for the "this is japan, not the rest of the world" remark, I think you should take a look at the rest of the world! Japan isn't so "unique" when it comes to hired foreigners!

EDIT; I forgot to mention. I spoke to my dad about this who asked an old French colleague of his that went to to work as a Marine Mechanical Engineer with 7 years experience. His starting pay was 750,000 JPY / Month
That is why I said;
Quote:
They would be taking you on at the bottom of the ladder, which is pretty normal if you haven`t been asked to come to work for them from some other company.
and
Quote:
Unless the company recruited him because he was working with them on a project or on the exact same system/machinery/etc - he will start at the same place as a new engineering graduate.
The OP doesn`t clarify if this is his situation. If they are trying to recruit him in on that type of pay - then it is low... But as I have been trying to say... If he/she is applying to jobs in Japan and got accepted to one with that level of pay it will be normal. Even for foreigners with 5 years experience.

It`s fine if you don`t want to believe me - you don`t have to. But I think people should be aware of this and know that 99% of the companies out there aren`t huge international conglomerates that will value native foreign language ability enough to pay you more than what they pay everyone else - regardless of experience. Japan is currently a hot spot for huge areas of the world looking for work, and engineering is pretty darned popular as a career choice. When you have a market flooded with Asian applicants having 10+ years of experience perfectly willing to start out at minimum pay (As is the case with a ton of Indian and Chinese engineers these days) competing with huge market of fresh grads with few job opportunities... The expat dream of hopping into a posh position getting 750,000/month is pretty much just that these days - a dream.

But feel free to hold out incredibly high hopes and ignore people who do have connections in the Japanese engineering field.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.