View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-07-2010, 08:57 AM

Eh, see now, some of those points were exactly what niggled me about Avatar. Great film except, the only humans in the whole thing were uniformly white English-speaking american and the Na'avi were very blatantly supposed to be just about every minority ever, supposedly echoing 'native americans' but... mostly played by black actors. Yeaaaaahhhh~

Minorities who had all this kick-ass stuff, but of course, were too busy making spears and playing with their toes to save themselves. Thank god for that all-american savior!

It leaves a bad taste, you know, once the 'ooh, pretty jungle' blinkers fade. Kind of awkward. But yeah, marty-stew protagonist on a sparkle-dino and predictable villains aside (Mr. Director man, did you not consider character development at all? "I R EVOL! I DESTROY TREEEEE~for moneh") I did enjoy the film. You know. Oooh.... pretty jungle.

Actually no, i take that back. Not pretty jungle. Irritatingly scientifically inaccurate jungle. If you're going to hire people to create a whole new damn language, at least hire a genetic biologist to verify that your animal creations make sense. Because they don't! Evolutionary rule of thumb: if higher order species have 4 limbs, so should the majority of everything else in the middle order. You can't have 4 limbed 'humans' (Blast. I've forgotten the special word for 'human-like') and then 6 limbed mammal substitutes. It just doesn't work like that. And creating an alien species should be more than just a formula of "take an earth species, slap on some extra legs and head fins. Colour blue".

I think I'm digressing from the topic though, so i'll stop rambling now.