(#6 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-07-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosekai View Post
こんにちは皆さん、

I am in the process of gathering information for my research project about suicide in japan and I just wanted to ask everyone a few questions...feel free to comment with any other arguments or opinions you have on the topic.

1. Why do you think Japan has one of the highest suicides rates in the world?

2. How can these suicide rates be decreased in the future?

3. Do you think this high rate of suicide is due to the effects of the globalization of Japan and America?

Any answer will help! Please leave your age and general location in the world as well!!

ありがとうございました!
1. Ditto what MMM said. It's always been far more acceptable to commit suicide in Japan as there's no great religious taboo associated with it.

2. It's possible that Japanese citizens could benefit from a more openly available mental health service.

3. No. That's crazy. If you want to say the financial situation of modern japan which has been turbulent ~as a result~ of dealings with outside economy is a factor in the suicide rate, then thats one thing. But Suicide is individual. You commit suicide you feel you've shamed and failed your family and the reasons for that sense of shame are deeply rooted in ~japanese~ culture. The debt situation may be caused by the outside world, but the tendency to resort to suicide is Japanese.

What do you think anyway? What's your angle on the situation and have you looked in detail at suicide demographics in Japan? I want to know how my information/opinion is going to be used in what seems to be a research essay.