View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-09-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEV12 View Post
I would like to get rid of my mattress in favor of something simpler. I have heard about the Shikibuton but would like to learn about people's experiences with it. Do you sleep well on it? Where do most Japanese sleep? I am thinking about getting one and would like to know how to pick one out. Thank-you.

-William
I had a shikibuton in college. Slept okay on it. However most college students can sleep about anywhere at anytime in any environment at that age. You also can beat the space it saves in a dorm or other cramped living arrangements.

Most Japanese I know sleep on traditional futons. However, well off, younger generation sleep on beds.... including their children. However it is a matter or preference too I believe. Also there is a idea being sleeping on the floor make you more susceptible to illness... I think from being cooler on the floor in the winter or something to that effect; plus depending on how often the areas is properly cleaned. I don't really know how much of that is true. Could be the bed manufacturers selling points.

My wife's side of the family and other close friends have always slept on futons, however their children have always been given beds. Not to mention the beds, even smallest ones, I have seen in Japan are really quite expensive. Definitely a luxurary.

In the end I prefer a bed. I can get by on the traditional futon, as I do in travel, and did for a good while living there. Being an American though, my body has just acclimated throughout my life to expect a bed, and I really do sleep better on it.

I would do it if you want to save some space and are one that keeps the floor clean.
Shoes off in that area I imagine too.