View Single Post
(#11 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-10-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
I'm staying for 6 weeks so that will be a lot more than that! Surely I can get a cheap one here (or in Japan?) for less than that, just so my host family can contact me/I can contact them if (when) I get lost.

Just stated I don't have an iPhone.. not buying one just for my trip.
Oh, I'd just pay the host family back for any International calls you make; if they have a land line. Grab a rental or prepaid if you absolutely HAVE to be accessible by mobile phone.

People made do 10-15 years ago with being tied to a cell phone as public phones are so accessible.

$150 seems a little pricey for MMMs example of 2 weeks. However if he made calls... yes it can add up quickly. I used JAL ABC before I got the dual mode phone: http://www.jalabc.com/rental/domestic_eng/index.html

The rates aren't bad. JAL ABC does want an application ahead of time.
Others at the airport don't. Apparently they still don't do phone mail (they are still the oldest phone rental service). I've seen others that do.
So for 6 weeks just keep the phone active and getting all the free calls you want: 10500 EN. Any calls you make are extra.

You do have to make time to return the phone before you flight, so be careful there. Some airports, <cough> Fukuoka, have the damn kiosk in a different terminal than the departing flight.