View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
PaulK (Offline)
New to JF

future education costs - 05-11-2010, 07:47 AM

Hi,

I have a daughter and son(three and one) and would like to know if my wife and I have any hope in paying for their post-secondary studies 15 years from now?

Our situtation is as follows:

* paid for the house we own
* new car my wife's parents bought for us
* we live beside my wife's parents and they are VERY supportive(her dad is 72, retired with a good pension and mom is 69 and works part-time)

* I teach about 8 hours a week (at a college 5 hours and a juku 3 hours), both jobs pay 5,000 yen/hours, so I bring home about 160,000 yen/month.

* My wife was a junior high school teacher before we got married, but lost her job when she got married and moved overseas with me. She had a teacher aid job at a elementary school before she gave birth to our son last year, which paid about 180,000 yen/month. She is hoping to write the teacher exams this July to requalify as a jr. hs teacher. If she does not pass it that is her last kick at the can since she is 30 years old.

* We live in a very rural area so there are few job opportunities here teaching, and yes, I do have the M.Ed (TESL), CELTA, Bachelor of Commerce degree and a elementary teaching certificate....Sorry for the negative rant, but I ma very frustrated about not being able to secure full-time work here.

Do my wife and I have any hope in hell for my kids to go to university?

Pk