View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-13-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickRich View Post
Cheers for the further comments guys! Thankfully I already have a UK motorcycle licence BUT the passport I had when I passed my car test has long since gone!! What's an AD, dirtyroboto?
You cannot transfer extra endorsements to your Japanese license, you'll have to take separate tests in order to get those endorsements, particularly for motorcycles. There are different classes of motorcycles in Japan, the basic endorsement is for motorcycles from 50cc to 400cc, and another endorsement is necessary for motorcycles larger than 400cc.

So long as you can prove you were licensed for 6 months or more in the UK (you can use utility bills or official letters and such to prove you resided at a residence for whatever period of time) you should have no problem transferring your license. In my case I hadn't brought any letters with me, but I was able to use a firearm carry permit which was issued to my address 4 years after I got my license to prove that I had lived there for at least 4 years.

It's amazing how picky they can be at the drivers license center, so bring all the paperwork you think you might need.