View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-22-2010, 12:47 AM

I think its better to think of apologies in Japan as expressions of regret or empathy rather than an admission of guilt or a stepping stone to a solution.

Anyway my list. They are not big complaints but they sometimes make me think WTF?

- Being spoken to in English when I order something at a restaurant even though I order in Japanese. The main reason this bugs me is because I think my Japanese is not bad overall.. but DEFINITELY more than enough to place an order at a restaurant. In addition though... they speak to me in English without asking whether I speak English first. I mean I do but thats not the point. Chances are I could be from a country where English is not widely spoken.

- The extent to which essentialisation of other countries/cultures takes place and is allowed to happen. I mean this happens in all countries but it is usually challenged openly by people who know better. Whats lacking in Japan is this other voice on the shoulder. If it is there then it isnt loud enough. I mean usually its harmless enough and not judgemental which I suppose is in contrast to the way we in the west essentialise others but its still annoying.