View Single Post
(#79 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-27-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
There is no "right or wrong" in this. There is only cultural difference - something that exists even within the same language and the same country. It is an interesting subject because we can compare these differences, and see some of the reasons that they clash - even when the sentiment behind them is similar. It`s also not something that is talked about in depth all that often.
I think it boils down to individual expectations and personality as well as culture. Maybe even just the kind of job you're in. I've worked in a variety of fields and I tailor my (thankfully rare) apologies to suit the receiver. One place I work (with children) seems to favor the wordy kind of apology that tsuwabaki was talking about. It's a cover all bases to ensure no misunderstanding kind of approach.

Old boss, however, would have responded to that kind of apology (ie, I did XT I will now do Y and Z to ensure blah blah) with a "Oh well DONE! Do you want a $*(@^%* gold star? Get out of my office and go do some damn work." and basically expect the guilty party to swiftly make up the error in time, money or better work than waste breath on 'mea culpa'.

and both work environments are very typically english.