View Single Post
(#11 (permalink))
Old
atheistwithfaith (Offline)
JF Regular

06-09-2010, 03:45 PM

The biggest problem seems to be that the local boards of education are catching on that they can employ ALTs through dispatch companies (such as Interac, Borderlink, Aita, Westgate, RCS) at a MUCH cheaper cost than the JET programme (which in '96 was costing the Japanese government $500million, and I can't imagine it's changed much in cost). Those dispatch companies have all the problems with illegal contracts and working conditions that you mentioned, but also before you even get to Japan you run the risk of getting dropped at the last minute. The jobs that companies such as Interac advertise for are only speculative (but they don't tell you that) because these dispatch companies enter bidding wars to offer the boards of education with the cheapest deal -- and with cost cuts; service, pay, and all the things you expect from a good employer are lost. At the last minute Interac could lose out a deal with a rival dispatch company and you could get a phonecall at the 13th hour telling you that you no longer have a place (though from the stories I have heard they seem more likely to just ignore you and hope you forget).

It seems that perhaps eikaiwa's have the potential for much fairer pay and better conditions - but only if you manage to find a well run smaller company. The eikaiwa market is in rapid decline and so your position is highly unstable, especially in larger companies.

Personally, I would say your best option would be getting onto the JET programme as that has a large support network, fantastic pay, and has massive resources behind it. But even then, you have to enter it with a very open mindset - some people HATE their time on the JET programme. Could you live in a tiny village, with intermittant internet, no young people, and miles to any conveniences?

One thing to finally say would be the old TEFL adage of ESID (every situation is different). I know many people who saved up some money to start with as a bit of a buffer, went to Japan, worked in an eikaiwa and loved it. People in smaller towns as well as people working for GABA and other companies in Tokyo. There are many people who enjoyed their time with Interac and dispatch companies also. Just be aware that you have almost no job security teaching english anywhere but with JET, and you have little opportunity for career progression unless you have a teaching degree/TESOL qualification.