View Single Post
(#15 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-13-2010, 04:09 PM

I'll show some balls and say looks. Call me shallow, but I'd rather have a partner that looks great and can hold a conversation than a girl I find unnatractive but is a well rounded person. Too many people assume that good looks= stupidity or whatever, but this isn't true.

Can I find a great looking girl who is:
Smart? Yes.
Funny? Yes.
Fun to be with/spontaneous? Yes.

So I'm not going to sell myself short just settle, when I can go for the best. It's this type of thinking that has always made me successful in everything I do.

But for food for thought:
(You can imagine this scenario if you like, in the event that you've never been in this situation)

Say you're out on the street, and you desparately need a phone. You forgot your cell at home, and you're surrounded by a bunch of residential areas, so you can't ask a restaurant and there are no payphones in sight.

On two different corners of the street, you see two men. The man on the left is clean cut, dressed in business attire, and has a briefcase. The man on the right has long, knotted hair, a full beard, and clothes with stains on them. Both men have a cellphone clipped onto their beltloop.

Which man are you going to ask to use their phone?

You know nothing about either men, except for what you can see. In a completely platonic relationship, you associate the businessman as trustworthy and the other man as sketchy. The businessman could be a conartist for we know, but you'll take that risk because of how he looks.

Now let's change the roles. Imagine instead there are two girls (or guys if you wish) standing on the corner. One is a beautiful blonde in a miniskirt, standing tall and looking confident. The other girl has glasses and a hat pulled far down over her face, and is a little hunched over, lacking some confidence.

If you're a heterosexual male, who are you going to ask for the phone now? Most likely the awkward girl. Why? Because she's nonthreatening in a completely different way. You may feel embarrased talking to such a beautiful girl, so you'll bite the bullet and ask the less attractive girl. You know nothing about the beautiful girl, except for what you see. You assume she may be dismissive, but she could be the sweetest girl you'll ever meet.

Too bad you'll never know.

The point is, every healthy relationship starts with physical attraction. It's this attraction that gets you to get up and talk to the guy/girl you're interested in without ever speaking a word to them before. It's this attraction that keeps you waking up to the most beautiful person you've ever seen, without regret.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography

Last edited by WingsToDiscovery : 06-13-2010 at 04:15 PM.