(#18 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
06-23-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
A daikon is definitely a type of radish, but I wouldn't suggest that calling it a radish is a good idea. I'd say just keep the daikon term to avoid confusion.
I don't recall ever hearing anyone in the U.S. refer to daikon as simply radish. Hoever, almost everyone I know combines the two - "daikon radish". The only time I ever hear otherwise is when the "radish" designation is omitted.

As for the flan vs pudding, there is a definite difference in the U.S.
Flan is the same as what French chefs call creme caramel. In fact I have a mexican cookbook that cross references it to "creme caramel".
Technically the only differences between a custard and a pudding is that pudding adds a thickener and the last stage of cooking is different.

When you make custard, add a thickener such as cornstarch or arrowroot and continue cooking & stirring till the mixture begins to thicken. Then you can pour it into a contaier or a pastry shell to cool. If you remove the custard from the heat before adding the thickener and allow it to bake in a slow over or bain-marie (water bath) till it sets, then it is still considered a custard.

I know more than a few Americans who would say the only difference is that custards are not flavored (basically milk & vanilla), while puddings are all the other flavors (chocolate, butterscotch, etc.) Or they may only distinguish them by noting that a custard is more solid and will set up on a plate once the cooking is complete.

Actually warm pudding and most uni I have had are about the same texture.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.