View Single Post
(#13 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-23-2010, 10:30 PM

In our culture, to apologize is typically regarded as a sign of personal weakness, whether in business or family matters. So even when we Americans know we're in the wrong, we rarely make either public or private apologies. Carry this attitude into relations with the Japanese, and you're doomed to failure.

the above is from the original message at the beginning of this thread.

I thought that was bunching all Americans together which surely is wrong anymore than people from other countries all act in the same way.

Here in Britain we can be sure if it happens in America it soon catches on in UK. especially certain phrases. There are so many American programmes on TV that it is hardly surprising.

If someone were to ask me about British culture I would have difficulty in replying as being [part of the older generation I possibly miss out alot on the younger generation.

with the advent of the internet and the exposure to world wide TV this generation is far more open to influences from across the world.

As a kid I was pretty ignorant about what was happening elsewhere apart from the war.

the poverty and hardship that was normal then.

Now we are able to learn so much more of events globally. I feel that things will change globally also.

When Japan was isolated from the rest of the world as they once were I imagine there was no outsider to influence the Japanese way of doing things.

years ago here in Britain it was the custom for a mother to stay at home with her children. Npwadays with the high cost of living and trying to make ends meet re mortgages and rent etc, mothers and fathers both need to work so that more children do not have such a close relationship with their child timewise. They try to have quality time but I feel that youngsters often don't have the old type of family home.

I am old fashioned but I wonder if japanese parents have enough time to spend with their children.

Maybe its the norm in most places.

We are told that the japanese people are workaholics working very long hours. I do not know if this is still the case. My japanese friend certainly feels she must work constantly at her studies here-- and feels guilty if she takes time off school.

Sorry if none of this is revelant. We get bullying here of course and especially via the internet and mobile phones. Children are born wild and have to be tamed really. If not allowed any freedom and having to study constantly what free time is there to develop as an individual.

Usually Bullies are very unhappy and insecure so they take it out on some others. they have always been here and always will. It seems part of human nature.

I must say when I had some japanese students stay here they were a pleasure and were so thoughtful and helpful. I certainly appreciated that.