View Single Post
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-01-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post

I have never personally encountered any apartment discrimination, nor met someone in real life who was turned down. It`s a HUGE rumor sort of thing that you can`t rent an apartment in Japan.
If you`re just in Japan for the short term and aren`t going to be in the country long enough to fulfill a lease - you`ll be turned down. If you do not have the job history to have "credit" - you will be turned down. By the way - to rent most apartments a normal Japanese citizen has to have been working for so long and have a huge advance payment.
I dont think its a myth. Exaggerated maybe (I wouldnt know and untill someone does some sort of research on it then we can never say whether it is exaggerated or not)... but not a myth.

I know someone in real life who was denied many apartments because of him being gaijin. Its one of my politics teachers here at the university Im studying in so I dont think its merely a huge rumour. The problem is not really agencies though rather landlords according to him as usually things would be proceeding finally untill the landlord understood that he was gaijin.

As for having to have some sort of work history here in Japan to be viable to rent an apartment, according to my teacher the only criteria is that you be able to prove you have a reliable income. With him he was getting a Japanese sponsored GOVERNMENT scholarship so that he could do his Phd.

Furthermore the association of foreigners with being unreliable is racist in itself and not an excuse for discrimination.