View Single Post
(#18 (permalink))
Old
sarvodaya (Offline)
JF Regular

Short composition #708 - 07-10-2010, 09:51 PM

Ok, here we are ゆりさん, below is my correction of your short composition. Please don't hesitate to ask if anything is unclear. I thought it was a very interesting observation, and I'd like to discuss this some more. I actually grew up in an intensely multicultural society, and I feel greatly enriched by it. I will write about it tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
Could someone correct my English?

How I was astonished recently.

One of the Japanese TV stations broadcast a Harvard University course in philosophy April to June of last year. The title was Justice with Michael Sandel (a heated class in Harvard).They talked about what the right things to do are, and this program was very interesting. [This sentence is a little ambiguous, and not in a native style. Depending on exactly what you mean, you might consider replacing it with something like either "They discussed the correct methods of philosophical reasoning" or "They talked about how to determine what is morally correct behaviour".]
However, what astonished me most in the lecture was when the professor spoke as follows, (This was said when they were talking who should enter Harvard. );
The common good is served, is advanced, if there is a racially and ethnically diverse student body. Everyone benefits.
He said this as if it was common sense. This was the premise upon which their discussion was based. I was really shocked.
Is this global standard?
I’m sure that most Japanese people would not understand or agree with the Idea.
I don’t know about any great professors, but common Japanese prefer a non-diverse society; so Japan absorbs few immigrants.
Japanese people generally prefer not to say every word that comes into their head, and those listening are supposed to understand what the speaker has left unsaid. Many Japanese people aren’t used to saying all the things we need to say [this sentence is a little ambiguous, perhaps you mean "Many Japanese people aren't used to saying everything explicitly" or "Many Japanese people aren't used to spelling everything out in detail"?]. This is possible only when people have the same values and cultures.
I know that other countries have many immigrants and I have thought that you just like it. I didn’t imagine anyone thought that a diverse culture benefited everyone.
I think Japanese people can’t speak English fluently without overcoming this cultural difference.
On the other hand, learners of Japanese should also know that Japanese culture is quite different from what you might expect.

Thank you.
どういたしまして。
I hope this helps.