View Single Post
(#20 (permalink))
Old
sarvodaya (Offline)
JF Regular

07-12-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Actually, it IS a little bit more complicated than that.
“Verb +こと” is called 名詞節(めいしせつ). There is also “verb +の”.
こんにちは。 I think this is what we call the gerund in English. It is the noun formed from the verb.

Quote:
At this moment you can just keep in mind that Japanese grammar is completely different form English’s, because the usage is depend on the predicate of the head clause(主節の述語/しゅせつ の じゅつご), and to understand this grammar, you need to read the whole sentences.
It does seem very different generally; it will take some time to get used to it.

Quote:
You pronounce 覚醒 Kaksei.
When you write it with alphabet, it is Kakusei, but we say it Kaksei.
When you pronounce it as a noun, the accent is on “sei”, and when as your name, the accent can be on “Ka”.
ありがとうございました。

Quote:
Yes, it must be appropriate for me.
Your concern is appreciated.
どういたしまして。

Quote:
ありがとうございました。
I will note semicolons when reading.
どういたしまして。

Quote:
Hmm….
覚醒 can means awakening, awareness, disillusion, but there is something more than that.
Attaching the web site was indiscreet of me.

The term sarvodaya was first coined by Mohandas Gandhi, and he dedicated his life to the wider purpose of discovering truth, or Satya. He tried to achieve this by learning from his own mistakes and conducting experiments on himself.(From Wiki.)

This discovering truth is called Satori(悟り/さとり), and it can also be said 覚醒.
悟り is the final aim of the old Buddhism.
To get 悟り, Buddhist monks do 修行(しゅぎょう).
You would understand what 修行 is, because you have done 修行 practicing Karate.
You don’t use the word 修行 when you enjoy sports. 修行 can means discipline your mind, maybe. (Sorry, my English is not enough to express things.)
Yes, I understand. I don't think we have a single word for it in English, but probably the most accurate single word to describe it is "training".

Quote:
You would think 悟りwould be better, but 悟(さとる)is too common here(悟りcan’t be a name.), and I believe 覚醒 is cooler.

覚りの妖怪!
Hmm…悟り can means the yohkai, but 覚醒never means such Yaoguais.

I’m happy if you like the name.
ありがとうございました。 You have explained it well, and I like it all the more now.

Quote:
Thank you for correcting my composition.
どういたしまして。

Quote:
Actually, it was not last year. It was this year. Only one month ago.
What should I have said?
Oh, I see. In that case you can just say "One of the Japanese TV stations broadcast a Harvard University course in philosophy from April to June."
For added qualification, you might say "One of the Japanese TV stations broadcast a Harvard University course in philosophy from April to June just gone."
The latter is slightly more colloquial, though.

Quote:
丁寧な添削、ありがとうございました。
"It was a thorough correction, thank you kindly."

どういたしまして、ゆりさん。

It is late now, but I must write something about multiculturalism tomorrow.

おやすみなさい。

ニックネームは「覚醒(sarvodaya)」からとって「覚(か く)」です。

Kaku is the nickname given to me by ゆりさん, derived from the word sarvodaya (सर्वोदय). This, in turn, is a word that was used by Mohandas Gandhi in his 1908 translation of John Ruskin's "Unto This Last" (1860s).