View Single Post
(#38 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-13-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Japanese studies would be an absolute waste of time and tuition as it wouldn't qualify you for anything in Japan, and it would be worth even less in America or Europe.
That reminds me of a good number of my Japanese working holiday friends in Canada who graduated university with a degree in English literature.

Sure, they ended up with the English skills of a junior high school student in N. America but they quickly realized that their degree was pretty much useless in both Japan and Canada. So, they ended up working in Japanese restaurants.

I can see how majoring in Japanese studies could have some merit over here, such as in international trade but IMHO, going to Japan with a degree like that is pretty much the equivalent of bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Here's what the dreamers should do. Put yourselves in the shoes of a potential employer and ask yourself what you bring to the table. Why should they go through the effort in hiring you when there are tens of thousands of university educated Japanese natives who are looking for a job.