sarvodaya (Offline)
JF Regular

07-14-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
覚さん、こんにちは。
ゆりさん、こんばんは。

Quote:
Please finish learning Japanese soon, and tell me the difference and how to say things in English in Japanese!!!
I promise I'll try ゆりさん!

忍耐が重要です!

(にんたいがじゆうようです!)

Did that make sense?

Quote:
“Training” is translated as トレーニング. The Japanese word “トレーニング” is only a part of 修行.
“トレーニング” might be a little different from “Training”.
I chose training because it entails a sort of self-improvement, usually towards a specific goal. It isn't exactly the same, but I thought it was the closest single word.

In my secondary school days I was a cadet in the RAF section of the Combined Cadet Force (CCF). This is something that we have in British schools in part to introduce us to military life should we want to join the forces and in part just as a good activity for building skills such as leadership and teamwork and things like flying in the case of the RAF. We used to go on week-long camps on RAF bases where we would mix both with servicemen and women and with cadets from other schools. On one occasion there was a boy from another school who was very enthusiastic and took everything very seriously. Apparently he wanted to join the Royal Marines as soon as he left school. His colleagues, perhaps feeling that he thought he was better than them, would tease him about how seriously he took it all. They used to say sarcsastically "He's 'in training'!" and "Are you 'in training'!". So that's not a very nice example, but I think it shows quite well how there is a dividing line between things like playing, practising or enjoying and training.

Quote:
Thank you for having the name.
どう致しまして!

Quote:
Thank you. Just “from April to June”. I will remember.
May I use the composition corrected by you in my blog?
Of course ゆりさん. In fact, I will write my comment on multiculturalism as a response on your blog. I see it is "Yuri's report", so I'll post a comment; it looks very interesting.

That's a lovely photo!

Quote:
This expression is very useful. Thank you!
どういたしまして。I'm glad it was useful.

Quote:
Here I write some expressions in Japanese in return.
Japanese people say 「行ってきます(いって きます)」when you leave your home and leave your office for a short time.
行ってis from 行く ≒go
きます is from 来る(くる)≒come
So this expression implies “I will come back.”

Have you seen an anime film titled “Mobile Suit Gundam”?
This is about a war. When the soldiers are making sorties and leave their base, they say 「行きます(いきます)≒I’m going.」.
They don’t say 「行ってきます(いって きます)」in the situation, because they imply they may die. This might be from the spirits of the old Japanese suicide mission which was called Kamikaze.
Anyway, don’t say just 「行きます」when you leave your home in the morning. You should say 「行ってきます」. I don’t think you should say 「行きます」except when you leave your family eternally.
Wow. Ok, so I must remember to avoid saying いきます! At least not for a very good reason. I will remember this; thank you Yuri San!

Quote:
When you say 「行ってきます」, your family at your house say 「行ってらっしゃい」.
Ok, so is 行ってらっしゃい literally something like "go well" or something? I know what you mean that it's a fixed ritual, although these are quite fragmented in western culture. The only modern one that springs to mind is the typical 50s U.S. "Honey, I'm home!" for when the husband returns from work!

Quote:
This is fixed and kind of ritual.
The Japanese language has many expressions of this sort.
I will write some other expressions next time.
Maybe how to say when you get home.

Do you have any expressions you want to know?
I don’t know what you know already.
If you know 「行ってきます」, I’m sorry!
I don't know where to start; I think we are doing well at this pace! I didn't know 「行ってきます」, but now I do! ありがとうございました。I'm at the office until 1800 most days and so I learn most at the weekend.

Quote:
Oh, I almost forgot!
About the first line of your signature.
「覚さんです」sounds a little odd.
You don’t say your name with a title or さん in Japanese.
For example; I say わたしは、ゆりです。
I’ve never say わたしは、ゆりさんです。

I think this would be more natural:
ニックネームは「覚醒(sarvodaya)」からとって「覚(か く)」です。
(My nickname is Kaku from Kakusei.)
I think I can see why it would sound odd. Apart from anything I didn't even say 「わたし」. I have changed it to your suggestion. I can see that it looks better now.

I'm looking forward to seeing your new blog entry and posting my response. I think multiculturalism is an interesting issue, and I would like to know more about the background to the 'average' Japanese opinion on the matter.

おやすみなさい。

ニックネームは「覚醒(sarvodaya)」からとって「覚(か く)」です。

Kaku is the nickname given to me by ゆりさん, derived from the word sarvodaya (सर्वोदय). This, in turn, is a word that was used by Mohandas Gandhi in his 1908 translation of John Ruskin's "Unto This Last" (1860s).