View Single Post
(#41 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

07-17-2010, 12:06 AM

Huh, so let's see. The reason the policy was instituted was based on the fact that at one point, some specific group of non-Japanese were a bunch of jerks, so there is now a presumption that ALL non-Japanese will be jerks.

That sounds pretty racist to me.

Think about it this way. If I had a group of black people come into my establishment whose English was so heavily entrenched in AAVE (African-American Vernacular English) that I couldn't understand them, and they proceeded to ignore my cultural rules egregiously, I would then be justified in disallowing ALL blacks from my establishment or segregating them into black areas?

Wow. Just wow. When you choose to categorise everyone by some trait in order to determine some sort of shared inferiority or deficiency (in this case, failure to follow rules, failure to research the culture, and failure to at least try to speak the language), you are engaging in discrimination and bigotry. When it is based on the idea that only ethnic Japanese are capable of the proper decision making, and others are not, that's crystal clear racism.

Having the establishment make an exception for the "well spoken Gaijin" is the same as saying, "Well, I'll make an exception for this black guy, because he sounds like he was educated in a prep school and not on mean streets of Fifth Ward in Houston."

The establishment may well prefer a proper bath taking non-Japanese person to a Japanese person who cannot take a bath properly, but I don't think a group of rowdy Japanese people who act like jerks and disobey the rules would lead to the establishment banning all Japanese people! I bet it wouldn't even lead to banning given groups (ie, it was college students who were in the wrong, let's ban all 大学生!) of Japanese people with a shared trait.

Also, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I find both gaijin and foreigner offensive. In the 21st century, such terms have next to no real meaning, and repeating them is giving them a power they don't deserve.

I do concur with you that Debito is, as I have said, an instigator. And he is much too aggressive, more likely to yell at you than to slowly work on your preconceptions and bigotry. I agree with his sentiments, but I don't like his tactics.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org

Last edited by Tsuwabuki : 07-17-2010 at 12:10 AM.