View Single Post
(#76 (permalink))
Old
MikeB (Offline)
JF Regular

07-20-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
I think we can agree that what a person does in their own home is their business, and doesn't really apply to the topic. I'm sure some people wear much weirder things than yukata around the house.
Absolutely, yes, there was this one thing I bought in the hundr..... Uh... Yeah, they are wonderful to wear around the house considering the humidity of the Japanese Summer! Much better than a dressing gown and much more sightly than simply wandering around in boxers; especially as on sunny days its nice to have the curtains open, albeit with the windows firmly shut and the air conditioning turned up to max!

Quote:
Gyaru, too, are somewhat outside of a norm. They wear yukata as a costume element come fashion statement, and not everyone agrees with their style. They're a specific sub-set of their own, and I bet their choice in yukata is still (yes, i'm going to saying) somewhat bound up in the social rules of the group. Eg; it's got to be cute and girly, have hello kitty on it or whatnot.
They are sometimes frowned upon, but they're so very widespread they could hardly be considered outside the norm, especially in Tokyo. They may have their own social rules, but that's how fashion develops, by breaking certain rules in order to develop new ones. However, contrary to some people's opinions, wearing a yukata isn't breaking one of these rules.

Quote:
Yukata in a hotel are definitely bound by social rules. People who don't normally wear yukata might wear one at a hotel; because inside the hotel it's a norm, and wearing one is 'joining in'. It's almost exactly the same as Matsuri. Sure, it's not as flashy, and much more casual but there's still a social norm, or rule, which says 'inside staying-in-hotel context, Yukata ok, outside staying-in-hotel context yukata a bit odd'.
They're really entirely different thing, a hotel yukata is roughly the equivilent of pjyamas. Yes, people might think you were odd if you wore one outside the hotel, but that would be true regardless of your ethnic background. You wouldn't look any weirder than a Japanese person. In fact if anything you'd probably fair better, they might well think "ahhh it can't be helped he/she doesn't understand the different forms of dress, but isn't it nice that they're showing some respect by trying to fit in!" I confidently believe that would be the usual, though not universal, response.

Quote:
You already said "Granted I wouldn't wear them just to go to work or anything" or out of season, and why not? Because it would be a subversion of a norm. This is what I mean when I say yukata wearing is bound up by rules, and notably different rules to kimono. Seeing someone by themselves shopping wearing a kimono is statistically unusual perhaps, but not a break from the rule as kimono can still be considered as proper general day attire. Seeing someone by themselves shopping wearing a yukata, you might think, "where are they going?" if it's a nice one, or 'didn't they get dressed properly today?' if it's a thin hotel sort. And if they seem to be wearing it just for the kicks, you might think "how odd!" Compound that scenario onto a large, non-japanese speaking foreign man, and it's understandably a little cringe-worthy.
Most Japanese wouldn't wear one full time either, but in the Summer you'd definitely get away with it. The only people to have a problem would be other gaijin really. My Obachan students have tried to MAKE me wear it to school because they think its very cute, they also, both male and female all agree that it's a good thing to wear it and don't understand my slight embarrassment. What I'm trying to say is that the rules aren't really different for anyone, so far as I can tell. My girlfriends dad is getting really excited about wearing one with me to a Matsuri next week!

Quote:
I've never encountered it either. I'm also not sure if they really are so precious about their culture as that, because every time i've tried to get involved in some culture event people have always really pushed the boat out to help me do so. Although I think some of the older generation find it a bit saddening that the traditional arts sometimes only seem to get any interest from foreigners, not young Japanese people.
Agree with you exactly here, it saddens me too, I'm from England and I'm every bit as enthusiastic about English tradition as I am about Japanese tradition, I'm sad about the radio 4 generation being replaced by yobbishness, but that's another discussion. Younger people do seem to be increasingly drifting away from traditional culture; something that does seem to sadden the older generation somewhat. However, getting involved, from their point of view, or at least what I've heard of it, only helps preserve the traiditions. I've spoken to a number of Japanese people on this issue and they all seem to be in agreement. In fact, thanks largely to Uniqlo, the Yukata is really going through something of a revival in Japan which is great news for everybody, there's loads of new styles coming out and they're becoming ever cheaper and cheaper. Wearing the Yukata as a gaijin only helps solve that particular problem and shows that we as gaijin are willing to participate in Japanese traditions, thus helping break down the barrier and ease any racism that might linger in an extreme minority of people.

Quote:
You already said "Granted I wouldn't wear them just to go to work or anything" or out of season, and why not? Because it would be a subversion of a norm.
Basic rule of thumb; follow the same rules as everyone else and you'll be fine! I don't think its a one rule for foreigners and another for Japanese sort of situation, at least as far as the Japanese are concerned. Though be warned; don't expect the same reaction from other gaijin. Quite aside from anything else the Japanese seem to want you to participate in their culture; even if you completely butcher it intention seems to count for 99%. Their problem usually comes when people refuse to engage with the things that other people are doing. If you choose to engage you'll get a very positive response; if you don't you'll be treated indifferently.

Last edited by MikeB : 07-20-2010 at 03:34 PM.