View Single Post
(#18 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-22-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodo View Post
Japanese calligraphy as well as Chinese calligraphy is not just about putting down strokes on paper...

Some things that separate "good" from "bad":

- balance + composition
- line quality
・ strokes should in areas be bold, thin, dark, and light
・ In general NO "BLAND" STROKES ← this is crucial...

Here is a gallery of some of my pieces for those interested in seeing some pretty "good" calligraphy, or at least I think it's pretty good: 書Calligraphyofjapan道

As much as I admire and respect your passion, it is difficult for me to acknowledge your work as calligraphy. Sorry to say, but you are lacking the basics.

The balance is distorted, lines inconsistent (kasure used for writing "bones" of the character) and the whole construction is uncertain. Your works do not follow neither Chinese or Japanese calligraphy rules, not even 禅筆道 which is the most liberal of them all. It seems that you have picked up some hints from the net and started to write, which is great, but before you get into bad habits i strongly suggest to slow down.

If you truly want to advance, please start with the basics. Find a teacher that could guide you, and study 臨書. If you want i could point you at decent websites that have a lot of free information on calligraphy.

Hope you wont take it wrongly, but calligraphy is my life and I could not help writing my thoughts down.