View Single Post
(#22 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-22-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodo View Post
I do not have any experience when it comes to that sort of calligraphy but I would imagine it is extremely difficult to master. The practice needed for such art would be tremendous, I think. Any experience with Japanese calligraphy?
Calligraphy is called 書 as it is a way, endless in fact. I have been studying it now for 7 years, and I just feel like I am beginning to understand it. The knowledge is so immense that it would take few lifetimes to embrace it in some percentage. there are nearly 60.000 characters, 5 basic styles, but countless sub-styles, millions of hand writings (which is especially critical in 草書), and hundreds of schools. I won't even mention that another day can bring new approach to one character.

Calligraphy is not about discovering how to write, rather than searching your very self. One needs to reach his own core and pour it all out in a split second onto the paper.

I can spend as much as 15 hours writing in one day, and I wish i could do it every day. I envy the ancient masters for having the opportunity to live by the brush, and nothing else. When I write i forget to eat, drink and if my wife was not considerate enough to remind me I would probably collapse writing.

below is an example of one of my works, 嶺上雲 (れいじょううん) a mountain peak above the clouds, written with 2 brushes held together, one made of sheep wool and another of bird feathers to add a bit of dramatic touch by means of irregular lines to the scene of clouds being torn apart by razor like rocks. There is no 雅号印 (pen name seal) as I press it before work goes to the manufacture to be framed or mounted onto the hanging scroll (掛け軸). Size: 全紙 (600x1350mm)

Second is 無心 (むしん) which is Zen Buddhism word. It is to be understood as meditative state where we hear no sounds, we think no thoughts and we see no distortion. It's a peak state of Zen. Size: 全紙 (600x1350mm)

And small scale calligraphy of a kanji 花 (はな) - flower.

楷書 (printed style)

行書 (semi-cursive)

草書 (cursive)

Last edited by ryuurui : 07-22-2010 at 12:06 PM.