View Single Post
(#29 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-23-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I once saw a KOREAN Film, about a buddhist who lived on a remote island. A young boy was taken there to be brought up by this Buddhist and it was fascinating. One day a young woman was taken to this island for some training in Buddhism I think-- she had been very ill. The young man fell in love with her and secretly had sex with her. The girl was sent away and the young man pined so much so that he wanted to explore the outside world. eventually he returned and a punishment for him was to carve a complete sutra-- on the wooden floor. The carving seemed to be a way to exhaust the young man as he was so very wild and angry.

My japanese friend watched this film but said it was not the way of buddhism in Japan. However I loved the film and the way the young man had been disciplined when he had been cruel to fish and frogs. He had tied the legs of a frog so it could not move and a stone to a fish. so the Buddhist monk tied a heavy stone to the young mans back so that he had to carry it everywhere with him. Yes it was a marvellous film with very little speech.

I wish I knew the title of that film but it was fascinating to watch and consider its morality.
the same movie where he shot her dead and then his master asked him to carve the kanji that he wrote on the wooden deck by dipping cat`s tail in hand made ink. Yup seen it as well. I agree, spectacular movie.
I ll try to get you the title, my wife should know it.
I absolutely loved that calligraphy there. I also would not mind having such a place for studying....away from all that technological nonsense.

Last edited by ryuurui : 07-23-2010 at 09:29 PM.