Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-25-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
Could someone correct my English?

“Customs of Japan”

When you come to Japan and go drinking with Japanese people, some of them will say, “Let’s start with beer!” and then you’ll give a toast. (You mean 'you' as in both me and the Japanese people, or just me? if it's everyone, it would be better to be 'you'll all')

If you want to behave like the Japanese, you'll need to look after other people’s glasses. If they are empty, you have to offer to pour beer for them. Someone may start it before you notice the empty glasses. This is how Japanese people communicate each other while drinking.
A legal adult is twenty years old here. When there are unmarried young women, you should look after their glasses carefully, because if an unmarried young woman pours for herself, it is said that she will not be able to get married. So a woman has to wait until someone notices her glass.
Is this too much of a bother? Perhaps, but if you are a man, I think this could be a good excuse to speak to a young woman who you like. Good luck!

Thank you!
There's one sentence that bothers me a little; 'Someone may start it before you notice the empty glasses'. It's not technically incorrect, but it feels unnatural and it's a bit unclear. Do you mean, if someone else fills the glasses around me before I notice that I should be filling them, then that's bad. Or is it that, someone might fill my empty glass before I even realize that it was empty.