View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-29-2010, 01:22 AM

Haha, the inaka is the other side of that coin. People are certainly busy and overworked here, but the hustle and bustle is gone. You have more of that "my pace" (to borrow an "English" phrase from Japanese) feel here.

I don't really like Tokyo all that much either... but I always find it interesting how a lot of the buildings continue several stories underground. It's the same thing with all the people running around. The rushing figure that you see is only the tip of the ice berg, really.

I think the "salary men" (and women too) that reside in the city have it really hard. Some of them might have great pay, but what's the point? How do you figure that kind of standard of living? Maybe some people like it, but that would be hell for me. As far as I understand you show up early to work to impress the boss, work hard all day, go out to lunch with your co workers, and then go out drinking for hours after work on a regular basis. They get home past midnight and start all over again about 5 to 6 hours later. I've seen personal friends dissapear in this lifestyle... it's like they get sucked into the "scenery" of the Tokyo that you've described.

Again, though, you see emulations of this lifestyle in the inaka, too. It's to a lesser degree for certain though. What the hell is everyone working so hard on... or for for that matter? Even though I delve deeper and deeper into understanding Japanese culture, that is something I think I will never be able to have empathy for. It's just crazy from my perspective.