Old
SqueakyRat (Offline)
JF Regular

08-02-2010, 01:25 PM

Hi there, Yuri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
I have a question.
When you say "female student", which do you say “Studentin” or “Schülerin”?

Danke!
The german use of the word [Student/in] is a little different than it is in english.

There may be some regional differences that I'm not aware of but generally speaking [Student] is only used for people attending University. So if the female student you're talking about is attending regular school, it would be [Schülerin], if she's attending University classes it's [Studentin].

As for your other sentences.

Quote:
The male student goes to a shop. = Der Schüler geht zu einem Geschäft.
That's correct.

Quote:
The male student’s father is a doctor. = Der Vater des Schülers ist ein Arzt.
Grammatically correct, though you can drop [ein], it sounds a lot more natural that way.

Quote:
The teacher teaches the male student science. = Der Lehrer unterrichtet dem Schüler wissenschaft.
If you're using [unterrichten] I would say [Der Lehrer unterrichtet den Schüler in Wissenschaft.]

You could also say [Der Lehrer bringt dem Schüler Wissenschaft bei.]

Derived from the verb [beibringen] which also means "to teach".

Quote:
The teacher scolds the male student. = Der Lehrer zankt den Schüler aus.
[Der Lehrer weist den Schüler zurecht.]

Derived from the verb [zurechtweisen].

Another possible translation would be [Der Lehrer schimpft mit dem Schüler.]

[zanken] or in this case [zankt] is used if two people are having an argument. It's also kind of old fashioned. Should you ever write a german sentence about two people arguing your word of choice is generally [streiten].

Quote:
The male students go to sea. = Die Schüler gehen zu Meer.
[zum Meer] (It's short for zu dem)

Most people (Including myself.) would use [ans Meer]. (This time it's short for an das)

Now that I think about it I'm not even sure if [zum] would be correct in this case, from a pure grammatical viewpoint, but I have heard other people (native speakers.) use it.

Quote:
This is a teacher of the male students. = Das ist ein Lehrer der Schüler ten.
I don't know what the word ten is supposed to mean so I'll just assume your sentence ends after [Schüler].

Technically your sentence is correct, but I'm not sure about the context here. Do you want to emphasize the fact that he's a teacher of the male students? If that's the case I'd still use the german word for male (männlich) in your sentence, as the plural use of [Schüler] is gender neutral. On the other hand, the plural form for [Schülerin] (Schülerinnen) makes it clear without a doubt that you're talking about an all-female group of students.

Quote:
A teacher gives the male students some books. = Ein Lehrer gibt den Schülern einige Bücher.
That's correct.

Quote:
The teacher invites the male student to a party. = Der Lehrer lädt die Schüler zu einer Partei ein.
Just use Party, we've adopted the word. [Partei] is only used for a political party. Otherwise your sentence is correct.