View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-04-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filip1 View Post
I am trying for some time to find a answers on some questions about unique Japan/Chinese notebook of original paintings, which I acquired few years ago. I will be very thankful if any of you could try to tell me something more about it, or, if you are not familiar with it, to guide some expert who will be able to tell me more.
Trying to hunt down the name of an individual artist is usually impossible; true they have their own individual hanko, but everyone and their dog who paints makes their own and there's not really a database for it.

On the other hand, that postcard could be an amazing clue; you know at some point, this collection was connected to a Dr. Kawamura at Harvard U in the Zoology department in 1959. Why not make enquiries? There's also two other names on the postcard; Gaadoruudo (a japonification of a non-japanese name) and 青木 (Aoki). The Aoki could well be the same chap whose address label you have on the sketch of the people.

The address on the right reads hamakura, two hiragana possibly kara (from), koe-ya shi, Chayanomachi, 823 (haninosan). It's a location in West Osaka.

The address on the left is
Kyotoshi, ukyouku, yamadaue 11. Roughly; Kyoto city, right city ward, up-yamada, 11. It's up in N.W Kyoto. It ends with what I thought was Kawamura Tamiji, relating back to the Dr. Kawamura at the top, but actually, i'm kind of confused because it looks like the same characters are printed on the spine of the postcard, except what I thought is 実 in the handwriting is a character my dictionary doesn't recognize. And odd to see the name of the recipient printed ON the postcard, right? The other pair on the spine is keikai, i think, which mean 'warning' or 'vigilance', though I might be reading that wrong, still weird to see on a postcard.

So, makes me wonder what's on the front of the postcard.

I can't read much of the rest, cursive is still really difficult for me, but the 4th picture in the album is a temple gate, and I'd say if the artist was drawing pre-war, then this has changed hands a few times, or collated post-war because the blue writing on it looks like biro and that wasn't around until 1950. From the style of the painting, I'd say the artist is most likely Japanese, not Chinese.

Thanks for sharing, it's really interesting!