(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-04-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filip1 View Post
Dear Columbine,

thank you so much in helping me to solve this mystery! It seems that on the postal cancel is another year than 1959 (19-16?), and I think that a year 1959 is when someone added additional note (maybe some previous researcher from that time?). However, I am not sure that it is a actual year on the postal cancel, but it looks like it is. And all this drawings and paintings in the book looks to be made a much before 1959 (probably in the first half of the 20th century).

I made a scan of the front page of the postcard for you, there is also some interesting notations...

Maybe, but only maybe, if you look that on the first post stamp was glued another... and address written in English is also added later... Maybe someone 33 years later send again the same postcard... He (or she) just glued actual post stamp over the used, added a new address on English, and resent again the same postcard???
Ah, interesting, that clears up a lot! So our Dr. Kawamura was an artist himself. This would explain why his name is on the card, 'warning' would likely be the title of the piece.
The other date looks like it's on a Japanese post-mark, so i think it's showa 16 (1941). I don't think it's older, that's not a 9 in my book, and definitely not a 5, so that rules out the taisho era, and because of the printing, but your right, it looks like it's been through the system a couple of times. Odd though, as it seems like it was sent from Osaka to Kyoto (i presume), then wound up in America, posted to the same Kyoto address, and wound up in America again. Or, the english address might have been penned by this gaadoruudo character, then shoved into the collection and then it ended up in America. hmm~

Not sure what the College is; it could be the Kyoto City University of Arts, which would match as it's only about a 10 min drive from Kawamura's address in Yamadaue. The Uni has an english web-page, so I'd recommend contacting them with your story, and asking if they know anything.

How did you come by the book, out of interest?

EDIT: Haha, Ok, ignore most of this! SashiM is a native speaker and knows far better than me! So the artist of the sketch book was Aoki do you think?

Last edited by Columbine : 08-04-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Sashimister is a god