YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-10-2010, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyRat View Post
Moin moin!
Guten Morgen!

Quote:
It's not like that, it works a bit different than in Japanese, I suppose, but they do have meanings, I just barely think about them, and thus, couldn't draw the connection right away. (Maybe because quite a few names commonly used in Germany are not of german origin, or the words those names were derieved from aren't in common use anymore, so it's a little hard to glean the meaning without doing research first.)
Are their origin Latin?

When I write “Der Name bedeutet Fisherman (or some other profession)”, would you understand what the sentence means easily? Verstand is not common for a meaning of a name. Is this right?
Do you know a name from Zimmermann?

Both German and English have the word [fisherman], and mean the same! Wow!

Quote:
That's really hard to pinpoint, but here are a few names that I can associate with at least more than one of my friends.

[Martin, Simon, Dennis, Michael, Patrick; Natalie, Sandra, Tanja, Katja, Christina]

As for family names. Here's a list of the 100 most common family names in Germany.

Liste der häufigsten Familiennamen in Deutschland – Wikipedia
This is very helpful to make example sentences, and get used to the German culture. Danke!

Quote:
auf
I’m sorry! I forgot.

Now, I think I’ve finished making example sentences with der Name. (You really helped me. )

The name means fisherman. = Der Name bedeutet Fisherman.

The meaning of the name is carpenter. = Die Bedeutung des Namens ist Zimmermann.

He enters up in the name of Müller. =Er trägt sich unter dem Namen Müller ein.

I remember the name. =Ich erinnere mich an den Namen.
(merken = memorize erinnern = remember)

The names bring me back to the memory. =Die Namen wecken Erinnerungen.

The announcement of the names caused a lot of disturbance.
     = Die Bekanntmachung der Namen sorgte für viel Beunruhigung.

I've applied for both of us, using my parents’ names.= Ich habe uns mit den Namen meiner Eltern angemeldet.

He writes the names on the paper. =Er schreibt die Namen auf das Papier.

Quote:
Oh, now that I see this. You might already know this, but just in case, if you can't type the german letters ä, ö and ü with your keyboard, you can use ae, oe and ue respectively, so instead of [Bis später] you can just write [Bis spaeter].

And with that said...Bis Später!
This is very useful information.
Danke, sehr nett von Ihnen.
Thanks, again!
Bis Spaeter!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP