Old
SqueakyRat (Offline)
JF Regular

08-10-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Guten Morgen!
Are their origin Latin?
Among others, yes. Nowadays I see quite a few younger parents giving their kids american influenced names though.

Quote:
When I write “Der Name bedeutet Fisherman (or some other profession)" would you understand what the sentence means easily?
Yes, although...

Quote:
Both German and English have the word [fisherman], and mean the same! Wow!
That is not correct, I'm sorry, when I wrote 'fisherman' that was just the english translation for [Fischer]. The German word for fisherman is, well, [Fischer], just like the name. They apparently didn't have a lot of imagination back in the day, regarding family names.

In that regard one could say your example sentence is a little redundant as it's obvious that the name [Fischer] is derieved from the profession [Fischer].

I did a little research on a few of the names I gave you in my previous post. Natalie for example is supposedly derieved from the latin 'Dies Natalis' which means birthday. (Geburtstag in German.)

That one might be more appropriate to use in your sentence, as the meaning of the name isn't as obvious.

Quote:
Verstand is not common for a meaning of a name. Is this right?
Correct.

Quote:
Do you know a name from Zimmermann?
What exactly do you mean? Just like [Fischer], [Zimmerman] is both the term for a profession, (The english word for it is 'carpenter'.) and a family name.

Quote:
Now, I think I’ve finished making example sentences with der Name. (You really helped me. )

The name means fisherman. = Der Name bedeutet Fisherman.

The meaning of the name is carpenter. = Die Bedeutung des Namens ist Zimmermann.

He enters up in the name of Müller. =Er trägt sich unter dem Namen Müller ein.

I remember the name. =Ich erinnere mich an den Namen.
(merken = memorize erinnern = remember)

The names bring me back to the memory. =Die Namen wecken Erinnerungen.

The announcement of the names caused a lot of disturbance.
     = Die Bekanntmachung der Namen sorgte für viel Beunruhigung.

I've applied for both of us, using my parents’ names.= Ich habe uns mit den Namen meiner Eltern angemeldet.

He writes the names on the paper. =Er schreibt die Namen auf das Papier.
Don't forget to change Fisherman into Fischer (Or maybe use the example with Natalie as stated before.) otherwise they're all correct.

Quote:
This is very useful information.
Danke, sehr nett von Ihnen.
Thanks, again!
Bis Spaeter!
Jo, bis später.

Oh and, it might be a bit too much for now to explain when to use Sie/Ihnen instead of Du/Dir in regular conversation, but on internet message boards like this it's always appropriate to use the more casual forms Du/Dir.