View Single Post
(#22 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-10-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyRat View Post
That is not correct, I'm sorry, when I wrote 'fisherman' that was just the english translation for [Fischer]. The German word for fisherman is, well, [Fischer], just like the name. They apparently didn't have a lot of imagination back in the day, regarding family names.

In that regard one could say your example sentence is a little redundant as it's obvious that the name [Fischer] is derieved from the profession [Fischer].

I did a little research on a few of the names I gave you in my previous post. Natalie for example is supposedly derieved from the latin 'Dies Natalis' which means birthday. (Geburtstag in German.)

That one might be more appropriate to use in your sentence, as the meaning of the name isn't as obvious.
Danke! I will use the name.
Thank you for researching.

Quote:
What exactly do you mean? Just like [Fischer], [Zimmerman] is both the term for a profession, (The english word for it is 'carpenter'.) and a family name.
I thought there was a Family name which was from Zimmerman, because I thought Fischer was from fisherman.
Now, I've got to know Zimmerman can mean both a profession and a name; I don’t think I should use the word in the example sentence.

Quote:
Don't forget to change Fisherman into Fischer (Or maybe use the example with Natalie as stated before.) otherwise they're all correct.
The name means birthday. = Der Name bedeutet Geburtstag.

The meaning of the name is birthday. = Die Bedeutung des Namens ist Geburtstag.

Danke schön!
Thank you for being so kind.

Quote:
Oh and, it might be a bit too much for now to explain when to use Sie/Ihnen instead of Du/Dir in regular conversation, but on internet message boards like this it's always appropriate to use the more casual forms Du/Dir.
I will try to use Du.
Vielen Danke!

(When I went to a coffee shop in Hamburg, I heard a customer saying this word to the shopkeeper. )
Tschüss!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP

Last edited by YuriTokoro : 08-10-2010 at 02:21 PM.