View Single Post
(#181 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

04-06-2007, 02:05 AM

Chinese is much easier than Japanese in my opinion. The characters they use and the way they write them differs a great deal. It is possible to learn both. My problem has always been that when I use one, the other starts to fade. But then I learned each individually.

As far as your choice of major, I would suggest that you add some business orientated classes in like the form of a minor or something. While I enjoyed my East Asian major, I probably would be more appealing to companies if I had some business background.

Then you have your desire to help poor people/countries, I would consider some sort of sustainable development program/major if you are interested in working for volunteer organisations. As in like a career, not just volunteering. I have a friend who is on that path right now, I believe her major has something to do with development in third world countries. However to attain a career level position in development organisations, you will need to think long term because you will need a graduate degree to get your foot in the door. And before getting into grad school, you will want to do something like volunteering for one to two years after finishing you bachelors.

Well, at least you have plenty of time to think about everything. It is really good that you have an idea of what you want to do with your life already because so many of us take a long time to figure it out. In my case, I just went to school because it was expected and studied East Asia, Chinese and Japanese because it sounded interesting. Now I am sitting here in Japan doing the teach English thing thinking, "Wait a sec, what was the goal in the first place? I know I wanted to travel, but what now?"

Best wishes and good luck! Ja ne...