View Single Post
(#43 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-16-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Erm, I am of the opinion that this topic itself is seriously skirting the rules. As MMM joined in the discussion, I`ll step back and let him make the call - but we do NOT have religious related discussions on JF.
To think point I think the discussion is more political than religious. If that changes (or has changed) I will take the appropriate action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
In fact it only seems to be a controversy because the republicans want to turn it into a political point scoring issue.
I am seeing this as well, which is making wonder how much attention I should be giving to it...but I am also a sucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
A Quote from Barack Obama's Ground Zero mosque plea will cost him and the Democrats votes - Telegraph

According to a CNN-Opinion Research poll released this week, nearly 70 per cent of Americans oppose the mosque plan.

Here is another article outlining what I meant. Ground Zero mosque plans 'fuelling anti-Muslim protests across US' | World news | The Guardian
I would be curious as to the wording of the question of this poll. Whether it is in the interest of ease, controversy, or promoting ignorance the easy to say "mosque at Ground Zero" phrase is full of errors in four easy words.

I think if the CNN poll asked "Do you think they should build a mosque at Ground Zero" it is easy to expect the mass majority of people would say "No!". I would say no, too. A memorial museum or something along those lines should be built there. Not a mosque, church, 7-11, or P.F. Chang's.

But the proposed Islamic community center isn't at Ground Zero. I think Ground Zero should be treated as hallowed ground, just like Pearl Harbor and the Peace Dome in Hiroshima (one of the only buildings left standing after the dropping of the Atomic Bomb and the home of the Peace Museum there). But blocks away doesn't count.

Anyone who has been to New York understands the meaning of "New York city block" and two blocks away might as well be on a different planet. Where I live I can throw a baseball two blocks. In New York...fuhgetaboutit.

Last edited by MMM : 08-16-2010 at 05:28 AM.