View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-16-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I haven't travelled in many countries so cannot make comparisons. London taxi drivers have to learn the KNOWLEDGE.

I wonder if other CITY taxi drivers also have to study the maps of all the roads they are likely to be asked to travel-- or do they now use the Satellite Navigation aids.

There are private taxi companies here in UK apart form those licensed by their councils. I feel sorry for those transporting late night revellers.
Want to know something interesting about Black Cab drivers? Those who have got black cab status and have been working for a log time, say over 5 years, have much larger hippocampus' than ordinary people. The hippocampus is the part of your brain that deals in navigation, so this is one of the few proven examples we have of learning actually changing the structure of your brain quite noticeably. It's not just the whole organ either, the back of it grows but the front part is actually slightly smaller than normal. The whole function kind of shifts about to deal with the vast amount of location knowledge.