View Single Post
(#11 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

08-16-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnell View Post
I recently took an interest in Asian Calligraphy and was just looking for anyone who practices this art and might have some suggestions for what kind of materials to get, where/how to start, etc. (Yes, I do know about the yong/nagai symbol (eternity))

So far, I have a Western italic calligraphy pen and a dozen felt brush pens, and I am thinking about just going for it and getting a real brush and all that good stuff. Should I?
hey,

First of all, please understand that western calligraphy and way of writing (書道) are two completely different and not related arts. There is nothing whatsoever that you can carry over from western calligraphy studies to sho, except perhaps patience and calm mind.

I am not sure if you only want to try it or start serious studies?
Also, it is important to find a really good teacher, that will lead you spiritually, not only technically. Eastern calligraphy is written with soul not a brush. Its studies include philosophy of orient, meditation, and of course poetry. Also, you would need to start learning at least Japanese or Chinese, preferably.

There is a whole world hidden behind black lines scattered on white paper. One needs to open his heart to understand it.

Last edited by ryuurui : 08-16-2010 at 04:37 PM.