View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-26-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by espie View Post
Thank you for the replies, some information is helpful indeed.

Steven those obstacles you mention are those that I deal with on a daily basis in my own country anyway. Sure things would be much harder in a foreign country. Ask any single parent, they know what hard is, and would probably bang their chest and say, c'mon bring me some more. The logistics of dealing with daycare... logistics don't change that much with a partner.
Do people not use babysitters in Japan? (For the dinners etc)
If I were on a JET salary, surely in a remote area I could afford to pay somebody to mind my child at neccessary times.

For those curious if they would hire me. I'll let you know how it goes.

:-)

Keep the ideas of locations/experiences from parents coming! Much appreciated.
Compared to the US, babysitters are pretty rare in Japan. Couples would either not "go out" or drop the child off with a relative. (Adoption outside of families is also very rare.)

Just curious, how is your Japanese?

I understand being a single mom makes you a bit thick skinned and a problem solver, but imagine being a college student in America, and then imagine being a college student in a country where you don't speak the language and few speak English. Everything becomes a challenge. It's one thing when a college student can't find a fresh milk or find a doctor, but it is different when the mother of a 5-year-old can't. I am not saying this is my thinking, but may be the thinking of your potential employer.

In some ways it is like applying to be a au pair or a camp counselor as a single parent.