View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-26-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by espie View Post
I like the points that you both make, and it makes me consider that I must be wise in my choice of location, and must make my survivability obvious in my application.
Studied Japanese for a few years at university, but actually ended up in Mexico for two years and became fluent in Spanish. So the basics and capacity to learn Japanese are all there. Time to brush up.
MMM I like how you compare Jet to Au pairs. However, I have certainly heard interesting stories of single mothers and overseas employment. Being one, I visit plenty of forums. Speaking of...I shall now investigate whether au pairs like Japan :-P
There are no au pairs in Japan. Just as there aren't any in the US. US has nannies. You won't find those in Japan, either. Having non-family take care of your children after 5pm is a kind of foreign idea.

I am glad to hear you have studied some Japanese. That is going to go a long way in terms of survivability.

I wouldn't spend too much time dwelling on the choice of location, as that is just a question on the application that is asked in case they WANT you so bad they will pull strings to get you into the exact location you want.

Let me put it this way, I requested Tokyo, Nagoya and Fukuoka, (because I had friends in each of those cities) and got a city outside of Osaka, nowhere near any of my choices. In the end, I wouldn't have changed a thing. However, I spent 15 minutes thinking of my placement "choices". In reality, they will place you wherever they want to, assuming they hire you. The program has been shrinking over the last eight years, and the number of applicants has been going up. It is very competitive now.