View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-30-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
  • What is the best time to visit Japan? I'm free from 25th May to the 23rd of September (finish University) so what would be the best time to go between these? I really can't stand too much heat, and similarly I don't want it to be miserable and raining.
  • What kind of budget would you need to set yourself for 2 weeks in Japan, travelling from England? I don't want to stay somewhere like a hostel, just as long as I have my own room and bathroom then I'm fine. I was thinking around £2000 ($3084). £600 for the flight, no idea how much a hotel would cost, then the rest for food/travel etc. Maybe be better to spend £2500 ($3855)?
  • Is there anything worth buying before I go, like a rail pass etc? Any sites or places that are really worth a visit? Please tell me your favourite places.
  • I really like fashion, so I want to know where to visit in Tokyo. Harajuku and Shibuya? How much time should I spend there?
  • What are your favourite hotels? Where have you stayed before that has been good value for money?

That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure more questions will come as I research more! Thanks for your time JF. I've been here for 2 years now so I'm glad I can finally call on your knowledge to help me out.
1) The later you go, the warmer it is going to be. August is generally considered the most hot/humid, but that certainly carries into September. Tsuyu, or the rainy season happens in the earlier months of summer. In terms of comfort, I would probably go earlier in the summer than later.

2) You can stay comfortably in hotels for under $100 a night. I would budget about $40 a day for food, but budget some more for special meals you might want to try that will cost a bit more. The value of a rail pass will just depend on how far you plan on going outside of Tokyo.

3) If you are into fashion in Tokyo there are all kinds of places to go. I am not sure about Harajuku, but Shinjuku, Ginza, Roppongi will be places to explore.