View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

09-03-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
I think it's ironic that people do tend to eat "conbini" food and cup of ramen and stuff like that to save money. You can easily go out for a few hundred yen extra and have a decent meal (plus a thousand yen or so for drinks if you go that route). I went on a group trip my first time to Japan and remembered going to the conbini for like 3/5 of our nights in the city. It's a waste of an opportunity to actually get out there and see Japan. If you travel all the way there, why not have the cajones to find your way into a restaraunt and eat some real food?

Another thing that I've noticed when people visit Japan is that they for some reason insist on having food from their own country. I guess it may just be me being ingorant, but I don't really have any sympathy for people who can't bring themselves to try some new food. It's not like Japan is some third world country... your intestines aren't going to explode if you try some of the food.

Ironically though, even after all those kinds of experiences, people will still leave Japan being completely satisfied with their trip! If only they got to really enjoy Japan. To each his (or her) own I 'spose.
Interestingly, I was one of the people that did try food from "home" when I was in japan, i wasn't insisting on it, it was more like I walk by Denny's and decide i want to try what Denny's like in Japan

In my case, friends that travelled on a tight budget didn't come back satisfied at all, I am talking about people who really only have money for flight, hotel, food and nothing else, and even on the note of hotel and food they were going by the cheapest, so it will be like onigiri breakfast from AM/PM, ramen lunch and cup noodle dinner. I wonder why they were not happy

But you are absolutely correct, it doesn't have to be in a full blown restaurant, but I think people should definitely think about enjoying the culture, not saying that people should travel there as millionaires, but have enough money to spend on street food, on attractions and on souvenirs.......