View Single Post
(#23 (permalink))
Old
DanRanger (Offline)
New to JF

09-03-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyroboto View Post
Yea! It looks like Tesco took over a Japanese chain for the most, but they have some new stores that have a better selection of UK food.
As for the tea, they have a 40 bag for 289 yen line that is of really good quality. The wife now gives these out as gifts to her friends with very good feedback.
Hellmans mayo is about 149 for 400g although I have seen it go as high as 189.

The gravy is a problem, I do like to make it fresh but the granules are so convenient when you need a large amount. I had to gravy up for 8 people and the small amount I managed to make hardly covered 3 people, let alone when they got a taste of it and wanted more. I also like to use the granules to make a base for shepherds pie (as an English party dish), that serves about 6-8 people. So it is hard to make a fresh portion for these types of things.

Oh! and oven cooking has not caught on in Japan. You wil need to recalculate your oven skills to fit in with oven toasters or microwave combi's.
Cool, the stuff about Tesco sounds very promising! Good to know it's there if I need it. Oven cooking... I noticed my potential apartment doesn't have one, could be troublesome for dinner parties. It'll spur me on to find some new recipes I suppose.

Cheers