(#89 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-03-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Unfortunately for you... I dont share your definition of "culture"

For me culture is not a static thing... it is a fluid thing. It changes and reimagines itself constantly. Japanese culture today is not the same as Japanese culture 100 years ago. Western culture today is not the same as Western culture 100 years ago etc.

In fact it was ACCEPTED in Western culture that whaling was acceptable up until the mid 20th century before Westerners realised that Whales were going to be extinct very shortly if they didnt stop. Also, New Zealand which had a huge whaling industry is now one of the biggest anti-whaling countries out there. So I dont know why the Japanese think the whole "Its our culture" argument is valid. Its bullshit and it shows a lack of progress and extreme Conservatism to present it as an argument.

Muslims in Africa also use the "culture" argument for circumcision of women for example. Is that the kind of argument you want to make?

And culture is NEVER an excuse and will NEVER beat rational and logical arguments.
As I said, I am not trying to convert you to a whale eater or make you support whaling. What I am dealing with here is a bit deeper, and it will help you be understood by Japanese people if you get the gist of what I'm saying. You might not have paid attention, but as I said, it is a fundamental Japanese cultural value that all life forms are equal in principle. You are trying to establish an arbitrary ranking among different life forms. Whale is better than pig, pig is better than fish. Only God can establish such a ranking. And you are obviously not God.

That's not to say we shouldn't be more attached to one species than another. We all like smart mammals than fish and that's a natural, probably a good, emotion. But just because you are more attached to whales than pigs, it doesn't make you a superior being. That attitude is based on the feeling of superiority and it will easily lead to racism. See just how many people started saying "fucking Japs!" regarding the dolphin hunt. It reminds me that Hitler was a vegetarian.

Last edited by cranks : 09-03-2010 at 06:25 PM.