View Single Post
(#103 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-03-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post

I just needed to know if there is something else involved in your GOOD reason or there isn't. Self-awareness itself can not hold water, as I depicted with the baby's example. Then what is you "other" reasoning? Have you thought about it?

Again, I'm not trying to win the argument or trying to prove that supporting anti-whaling is wrong. But I feel it is important to present Japanese side of view. I said this before, but not many Japanese people actually eat whale. But still, anti-whaling movement is extremely unpopular. This is because the activists' "reasoning" directly collides with a basic Japanese cultural principle.
My position is that dolphins are self aware therefore we shouldnt eat them.

Regarding babies, I can think of numerous reasons why babies shouldnt be eaten despite them not being self aware.

For a start, their mothers wont be very happy about it. Secondly, I dont think that the normalisation of baby eating would make for a very healthy society as I hate to think what the implications of a society which accepts this practice would be. Third.. I think the baby is a human and has the potential for self awareness. It would be just as horrible to eat a baby dolphin as it would be to eat an adult dolphin. The same goes for humans.