(#125 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-04-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
My opinion is this:
- I don't believe this is about culture. Culture can change. If culture stayed the same in England, we would still be hanging people in the streets. Culture is a stupid justification for doing awful things, which in the modern world we have come to realise are cruel and pointless.
I'm spending way too much time on this so just one thing, Misa.

It IS an issue with culture. Culture not as eating habit. Eating whale meat is not culture for many Japanese people. There are only several regions that have that culture. But still, anti-whaling is extremely unpopular in Japan. What Japanese people are against is the "LOGIC" behind it. Who do you think you are to classify Whale a "BETTER" species than Pig? Last I checked, the only existence that can do it is God.

"Culture" is a very important thing, Misa. It's not just music and anime and novels. It includes religious beliefs. Even if I didn't agree with Christian beliefs, or Islam beliefs, I wouldn't dismiss them as "stupid justification". I would try to understand them.

Eating animal meat is, of and by itself, cruel. After watching a video of a slaughterhouse of any kind, nobody would casually say "Oh, that's humane. There is no problem killing them" . What many Japanese people are against is the attitude like "Oh, pigs aren't self-aware, so there is no problem eating them". Many Japanese people don't trust people who employ this kind of "LOGIC". It is taken as a manifesto of superiority, and when you think about it, it IS the feeling of superiority that makes one say this. Have you noticed just how many racist remarks and behaviors surfaced around anti-whaling activists?

Last edited by cranks : 09-04-2010 at 05:20 PM.