View Single Post
(#126 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

09-04-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
I'm spending way too much time on this so just one thing, Misa.

It IS an issue with culture. Culture not as eating habit. Eating whale meat is not culture for many Japanese people. There are only several regions that have that culture. But still, anti-whaling is extremely unpopular in Japan. What Japanese people are against is the "LOGIC" behind it. Who do you think you are to deem whales are "BETTER" species that pigs? Last I checked, only existence that can do it is God.

"Culture" is a very important thing, Misa. It's not just music and anime and novels. It includes religious beliefs. Even if I didn't agree with Christian belief, or Islam belief, I wouldn't dismiss it as "a stupid justification". I would try to understand them.
Nobody has to deem any animal greater than another. Whales are no more important than an earthworm. It's just the way whales are killed is inhumane and awful. Would it be okay to justify human sacrifices and female circumcision if it was part of someones culture? I think not. The great thing about culture is that we can learn to cut out the bits that modern society doesn't want or need, while retaining the positives. This is not positive.